Click Map for detailed view
Did you know that the Charlton family and Apley Castle were linked with the Royal Courts of England and Powys for over 800 years and is of great historical importance? Apley Castle was also home to two grand houses with the same name. The first was a 14th century fortified manor and the second; a grand Georgian mansion built 450 years later on a site close by. Both properties belonged to generations of the illustrious Charlton family.
The original castle was built in the early to mid 14th century on the site close to Apley woods. When the building of the Georgian mansion was complete, which was also known as Apley Castle, during the 1790s, the original castle was converted into a stable block. Following the demolition of the second castle in the 1950s, the stable block fell into a state of ruin but can still be seen today.
In the late 1990s the grade II listed building was rescued and sympathetically restored, containing eight dwellings, many including original mid 14th century features.
In 1327 King Edward III granted Alan de Cherelton (Charlton) a licence to fortify and crenellate the mansion at Apley and the Charlton family remained predominantly in Apley Castle until the mid 1950s.
John de Cherelton, one of Robert de Cherelton’s sons married Hawys, Princess of Powys and subsequentially became the owner and Lord of Powys Castle. He also owned a large town house in Shrewsbury, Charlton Hall and became a figure of great importance and influence at the royal palace, as the Chamberlain to King Edward.
John’s brother, Thomas Charlton became Lord Privy Seal and an influential member of the court of King Edward II. John was later appointed Chief Justiciar of Ireland and Thomas, Chancellor of Ireland and the two brothers effectively ran the country until Thomas questioned Johns competence in his role and John was called back to England.